Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Night Shift

I have completed 2 night shifts now at the hospital. I love it! I kind of get into a slump at like 5:00am, but then I just refuel or get some caffeine and I'm fine. It is very quiet but, despite what most people think, there are a lot of patients who do not sleep at night. Some of the nurses do though. I can't nap it because I think if I fell asleep I wouldn't be able to truly wake up and be productive. I just try to sleep enough between shifts and chug on through. Maybe once I start working and having kids, the nap breaks will be more enticing.

I want to build an indoor mini-mall complete with food court (with all the traditional favorites), clothes stores, movie theatre, and other fun things for all the people out there who work the night shift. Night shift cops, nurses, housekeeping, military personnel, factory workers, firefighters, etc... all need places to go and hang out at 3-4 am when they aren't working.

Sorry I'm rambling in this blog. I've been up all night and all day and I'm pretty tuckered out. Goodnight! (or is it good morning????)

4 comments:

jacquie said...

But why would people who work the night shift need a place to hang out at 3 a.m.? Aren't they supposed to be working at that time? Or do you get big long breaks? I don't know how it works, because if I had to work the night shift I would kill myself, so I have never done it. I'm so proud of you though! Have fun keeping all those insomniacs entertained!

KBugg said...

Night shift people need a place to go at night when they aren't working. Some people out there work all night, sleep the next day, and then are off the following night. There's nothing for them to do during their nights off, except watch tv and play on the computer. There should be a place that they can go, like a mall, to run errands, shop, eat, etc at night. That's what I'm trying to say.

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the mall idea! Being a nurse night shift worker for going on two years I would kill for a place to go when I'm not working and can't sleep. I hate the fact that I'm awake and I'm being so unproductive when I wish I could be running to the bank, mall, ect. If you've never worked night shift it's hard to understand but working nights gave have it good sides (it's usually slower, less people hanging over your shoulder, more pay) and bad sides (away from family at night, often tired and fighting the world on a day schedule). Ok, I will stop going off because I too just got off work and need to go to bed. Kristi..I miss you! Wedding plans are good. Call me sometime soon!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! I was curious on how it was all going.